Email Application Setup: Outlook for Windows
This guide will show step-by-step instructions to set up email on Outlook 2010 for Windows. While it can be used for other versions of Outlook, some screens and steps might vary.
Adding a new account:
- Open Microsoft Outlook.
- Go to File > Info > Account Settings.
- In the Email tab, click New…
- Click the Add Account button
- Choose Manually configure server settings
- Click Next
- Choose Internet E-Mail
- Click Next
Enter the details in each field on the screen:
- Your Name: Enter your name as you want it to appear on your outbound email messages.
- E-mail Address: Your email address.
- Account Type: IMAP or POP3. We recommend IMAP.
- Incoming Mail Server: mail.example.com, replacing example.com with your domain name.
- Outgoing Mail Server: mail.example.com, replacing example.com with your domain name.
- User Name: Your email address.
- Password: Your email account password.
- Click More Settings.
- Go to the Outgoing Server tab.
- Check the “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication” checkbox.
- Ensure you’re using the same settings as your incoming mail server.
- Go to the Advanced tab.
- For IMAP with SSL*, change the following settings:
- Incoming Port: 993
- Outgoing Port: 465
- SSL: SSL/TLS
- Authentication: Normal password
- Click OK.
- Click Next.
* For other configuration settings, check Email Device Setup in your Email Manager, or refer to our Email Application Setup article.
- While on the E-mail Accounts screen, click Test Account Settings. This will both check your settings and send a test email to yourself to confirm that everything is working. If you receive any errors, please check your configuration
- Click the Close button on the Test Account Settings window
- Click Next on the E-mail Accounts window
- Click Finish.
You’re done! Outlook 2010 is now correctly configured to send and receive emails.